Plants need nutrients to grow and develop, and often the soil does not provide enough for optimal growth. Tomatoes are especially heavy nutrient users, so fertilizers are often needed. The best tomato fertilizers are natural products that promote healthy soil by breaking down slowly, feeding the microbes, and delivering necessary macro and micro-nutrients to the plants.
The most important of the essential nutrients are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, often referred to as a ratio of N-P-K. Banana peels have become a popular garden fertilizer because they are readily available and one of the highest natural sources of potassium. Potassium is essential because it aids in photosynthesis, helps move water and nutrients between cells, helps with flowering, and strengthens the stem. Banana peels also contain other important nutrients like calcium, manganese, sodium, magnesium, and sulfur.
There are a couple of easy ways to use banana peels. You can simply bury them at planting (chopped up into pieces), or you can create a tea to add throughout the year.
If you want to bury the bananas before planting your tomatoes:
- Collect several banana peels
- Chop them into pieces (rings tend to work well)
- Dig a hole
- Add some banana peels to the bottom of the hole, and then add some of the soil back in, along with a starter mix
- Plant the seeds or the transplants in the hole
To create a banana peel tea:
- Add several banana peels to a quart jar
- Fill the jar with water
- Seal the jar, and allow it to sit for about a week
- Pour the liquid tea around the plants
- You can also make larger batches of banana peel tea in a big container over a longer period of time, but be sure to use something covered to prevent a rotting smell and attracting animals.
The Best Tomato Fertilizer
If your garden is in need of potassium, banana peels might do the trick, but they are not a well-rounded fertilizer that will provide everything your plants need. If you are looking for a natural tomato fertilizer that provides all of the essential nutrients, the best tomato fertilizer on the market today is Tomato Secret. Dr. JimZ fertilizer contains 12 natural ingredients that will help you grow larger, healthier, and tastier tomatoes. It does all this while also building up the soil and feeding the microbes. You won’t find a better fertilizer than Tomato Secret. Once you try Tomato Secret, you will never go back.